Oregon Health & Science University Veterinary Research/Health Technician 1 in Portland, Oregon
Work Unit Description
The Oregon National Primate Research Center (ONPRC) is located 12 miles west of the OHSU main campus, and sits on 162 acres of land featuring forested areas, research and administration buildings, indoor and outdoor animal housing, a pond, and 2-mile perimeter walking path. Our mission is to improve human health and the quality of life through the support of nonhuman primate research programs that advance our knowledge of the causes, preventions, treatments, and cures of debilitating diseases.
- Salary Range $15.45 - $16.74 per hour
Functions/Duties of Position
The Veterinary Research/Health Technician 1 assists in providing clinical care and husbandry for a variety of laboratory research primates. The primary function of this position is to support the clinical medicine unit related to the care of laboratory animals with a large emphasis on clinical and surgical medication distribution and preparation. Duties must be performed in a professional manner and will require contact with investigative staff. The area of work assignment and specific tasks will vary, depending on veterinary care requirements, service requirements, and staffing needs, during regular and non-regular working hours, including weekends, holidays, or on an overtime basis.
- Advancement requires High School Diploma or GED
- Six months experience providing husbandry for animals (i.e., watering, feeding, changing bedding, housing, checking animal's health, etc.) within a veterinary or research setting
- Ability to consistently interact with research investigative staff, supervisors and co-workers, in a positive and constructive manner, to provide research support in a professional manner, and with a service-oriented attitude
- Ability to use proper techniques to safely perform standard clinical procedures, including ability to accurately calculate medication dosages; possess sufficient dexterity and manual skills to safely perform (or learn to perform) basic animal husbandry and animal handling (using proper techniques).
- Ability to use computer keyboard
- Ability to read, write, and follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and/or written formats with both technical and professional staff
- Possession of a valid Driver's License and ability to drive DCM/ONRPC vehicles on and off campus as required
- May be required to complete an FBI security risk assessment
- Ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 23 kg (50 lbs), and lift objects weighing approximately 19 kg (42 lbs) to approximately shoulder height
- Ability to move unassisted through various animal housing areas located in several separate buildings, indoor and outdoor
- Able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without accommodation
- Bachelor's degree in related field
- 18 months experience in the health care of experimental animals in a research setting and/or as a veterinary technician or assistant with experience handling and administering medications including injectable medications
- Certification by the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science at the Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician level (ALAT) within 12 months of employment
Oregon Health & Science University values a diverse and culturally competent workforce. We are proud of our commitment to being an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization that does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any protected class status, including disability status and protected veteran status. Individuals with diverse backgrounds and those who promote diversity and a culture of inclusion are encouraged to apply. To request reasonable accommodation contact the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Department at 503-494-5148 or email@example.com.
Job Title: Veterinary Research/Health Technician 1
Department: Oregon National Primate Research Center (ONPRC)
Drug Testable: Yes
FTE: 1.0 FTE, Full Time
Schedule: Sunday – Thursday, 7:30am - 4:00pm, but may be required to work overtime as needed and can be mandatory when necessary
Location: Beaverton, OR (West Campus)
Job Type: Temporary