Oregon Health & Science University Sterile Processing Technician I in Portland, Oregon
Functions/Duties of Position
The Sterile Processing Technician I performs routine sterile processing work in the decontamination, staging, assembly, testing, storage and distribution of medical equipment, supplies and instruments in a medical facility.
This is the first level of a three-level series. Employees in this level may be in training to perform the duties and responsibilities of the Sterile Processing Technician II, including sterilization tasks.
Cleaning and Decontamination: sorts, cleans, and decontaminates soiled instruments by utilizing proper manual and mechanical techniques. cleans and decontaminates medical equipment as needed. May operate Immediate-Use-Steam-Sterilizers (IUSS) according to standards of practice and maintains sterility assurance at all times, including transport of sterile instruments to the Operating Rooms under strict sterile conditions.
Staging, Inspection, Assembly and Packaging of Instruments: Sorts clean instrument sets by type. Inspects and tests them for proper function. Assembles them according to quantity based on a count sheet. Packages or places them in a rigid container for sterilization.
Inventory Control and Distribution: Checks stock of supplies on an ongoing basis to ensure sufficient inventory. Maintains inventory records. Maintains computer-based record of instrument sets decontaminated, assembled, dispensed, and to whom. Restocks specialty carts for the Operating Rooms. Practices the First In-First-Out (FIFO) method of stocking and distributing supplies. Answers all Operating Room calls for supplies and instrument sets. Transports and picks up sterile and non-sterile instruments. Picks case carts for all Operating Room cases, including supplies and sterile instruments and other items based on a surgeon's procedure card.
Miscellaneous: May function in the role of a Materials Assistant or Operating Room care support, including maintaining their inventory.
*REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: *
- High School diploma or equivalent and one year work experience in any field.
- Communicate clearly and appropriately.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to operate computers and job related equipment.
- Ability to work with detergents, enzymes, and other related chemicals.
- Ability to tolerate long periods of standing.
- Ability to lift/push/pull 50+ lbs.
- Ability to withstand the sigh of blood, body fluids and body parts.
- Ability to tolerate the noise from medical equipment.
- Ability to tolerate the wearing of a personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without accommodation
- Completion of (or enrollment in) the Sterile Processing Course; OR
- 2 years job experience in a hospital, clinic, or medical laboratory with exposure to decontamination and cleaning processes; OR
- 2 years materials handling experience including inventory and stocking of perishable supplies.
- CBSPD or IAHCSMM
Oregon Health & Science University values a diverse and culturally competent workforce. We are proud of our commitment to being an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization that does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any protected class status, including disability status and protected veteran status. Individuals with diverse backgrounds and those who promote diversity and a culture of inclusion are encouraged to apply. To request reasonable accommodation contact the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Department at 503-494-5148 or email@example.com.
Job Title: Sterile Processing Technician I
Department: Sterile Processing
Location: KPV 5041
Drug Testable: Yes
FTE: 0.5, Part Time
Schedule: Monday – Thursday, 12:00 pm – 8:30 pm
Salary Range: $16.88 – $22.50 per hour
Location: Portland, OR (Marquam Hill)
Job Type: Union Represented (AFSCME)