VMware Staff Software Engineer - Transformation Products - Opportunity for Working Remotely in Portland, Oregon
For this position, we’ll consider candidates who are willing to work in the Pacific (9:00-18:00 PT) or Eastern (9:00-18:00 ET) Time Zones
The Elevator Pitch: Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
You are passionate about creating products that solve problems for users and their businesses. You’re willing to shut down or let go of solutions that no longer solve the problems of your users and their businesses.
You have a passion for high-quality, reliable, and maintainable code. You’re comfortable working side by side with product managers, designers, and customers, making decisions together in order to quickly deliver valuable working software to our users. You’re agile and retrospective, and not afraid to identify what we’re doing wrong so we can fix it, and what we're doing right so we can improve on it.
You’re committed to continuous learning and you actively work to hone your craft. You understand the importance of receiving and giving feedback. You understand that delivering “good” consistently and sustainably is better than working in fits and spurts. Work/life balance is important to you and is something you’ll be an advocate for.
What is primary need, technical challenge, and/or problem you will be responsible for?
The majority of your time will be spent pair programming with the developers on your product team. You’ll also be collaborating with other developers, product designers, product managers, and colleagues in all functions across the company to identify problems and prioritize them to deliver value to our users as quickly as possible. And we believe in working at a sustainable pace – you’ll typically work hard for 8 hours each day, but then you’re off to relax, recharge, and refocus.
Success in the Role: What are the performance goals over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
· You will communicate daily with other engineers, product managers, and product designers to help the team discover, define, prioritize, and execute on the most impactful work we can be doing.
· You will showcase your experience with full-stack web development by developing software features and capabilities that involve frontend, backend, database, and infrastructure tasks.
· You can expect to use test-driven development and pair-programming to write the majority of your code, although solo work and mob-programming are activities we do as well.
· You will be expected to help lead the product’s technical direction by identifying areas of improvement and leading initiatives to address them.
· You will work to keep the codebase in an always-releasable state with frequent refactoring, robust test suites, and zero-downtime deployments.
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
We’re looking for someone who is excited about:
· Scaling a SaaS application from an internal user base in the thousands to a commercial product on the open market.
· Collaborating within a balanced team to deliver high quality software at a sustainable pace.
· Leveraging pair programming and test-driven development to break down knowledge silos and grow a maintainable codebase.
· Helping the team prioritize technical, business, and user needs to manage scope and make sure we’re always focused on the most important problems.
· Evaluating and leading initiatives to improve our development process and practices.
· Informing our testing strategy with your opinions and experience in unit, integration, and end-to-end testing.
W h at is the leadership like for this role ? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
You will be joining VMware’s new, exciting Transformation Products team made up of passionate and creative individuals focused on products which help organizations adapt to a constantly changing landscape. We build SaaS applications and services ready for enterprise-scale companies by learning directly about their challenges and developing a deep understanding of their needs.
We practice collaboration and shared ownership in all of our work. We strive for agility, transparency, and transformation in our encounters, while ensuring responsibility and respect are top of mind in every process and interaction.
Our engineers embrace Extreme Programming (XP) as a way to go fast forever and deliver remarkable results. Our product managers and product designers work side-by-side with our engineers in small, empowered teams, using Lean and User Centered Design as guides. We measure success by making our customers more successful with how they adapt to change. We spend time with our customers to understand and build empathy for the jobs that they need to get done.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com .
· Employee Stock Purchase Plan
· Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
· Generous Time Off Programs
· 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
· Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
· Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, trainings, course work, etc.)
· Healthy and local inspired snacks in all our on-site pantries
This job requisition is not eligible for employment-based immigration sponsored by VMware
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: Software Engineering
Experience: Business Leadership
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2021-03-02
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
- VMware Jobs