Umpqua Bank Risk Support and Consultation Manager in Portland, Oregon
In this role, you will supervise & lead team responsible for providing risk management consultation, coordination of the Enterprise Risk Management second lines of defense, engagement with - and effective challenge over - first line/business units. The Risk Support & Consultation team will lead/manage cross-functional risk management initiatives and projects that impact multiple risk disciplines (and/or business units) to drive proactive risk identification and mitigation for financial, regulatory, operational, or IT risks. You will monitor and report on significant risk and control issues affecting the enterprise and assist in the development of effective action plans. Additionally, you will maintain an enterprise-risk-management strategy that reduces risk, promotes operational efficiency, and fosters a high-quality customer experience through implementation of the Enterprise Risk Management Program.
Demonstrate expertise in the operational risk area(s) of bank or holding company to effectively monitor and challenge associated risk management activities, as well as provide appropriate level of consultation.
Responsible for facilitating the implementation first line/business-unit-level risk assessment processes
Conduct monitoring, analysis, and reporting on risks within the first line of defense, including root-cause analysis to facilitate targeted remediation efforts by management.
Provide appropriate level of risk analysis to continuous-metrics reporting and monitor results to opine on state of risk in Executive and Board reporting.
Provide leadership and support across the Enterprise Risk Management group in the development, implementation, and coordination of the enterprise Risk Management Standards.
Perform assessments of emerging issues or potential liabilities; monitors regulatory issuances for changes in laws, rules, regulations, guidance and changes in enforcement emphasis and develop appropriate communication plan to facilitate action plans in response to changes within the first line of defense.
Provide ongoing risk training, consultation and effective challenge to the First Line of Defense, including but not limited to, facilitation of process based risk assessments, research and issuance of risk memos and positions, and operational risk monitoring and reporting.
· Demonstrate compliance with all bank regulations that apply to your position, and keep up to date on regulation changes.
· Maintain working knowledge of our policies and procedures regarding the Bank Secrecy Act, Regulation CC, Regulation E, Bank Security and other regulations that apply to your position.
· Bachelor's Degree in Business, Finance, Economics, Accounting, or other applicable discipline.
· CRCM, CAMS, FCM, CIA, CPA, or MBA certification desired.
· 5+ years of banking, risk management, compliance, finance, or IT/Ops audit experience.
· 5-10 years of experience managing teams, with focus on operational or regulatory risk management activities.
Extensive understanding of financial institution general-control structure, as well as knowledge of various bank operations, to assess risk, challenge, and make appropriate recommendations.
· Ability to oversee multiple work efforts/people, which may involve directing a multitude of business units/key stakeholders.
· Possess strong understanding and demonstrated experience in risk identification, risk measurement, analysis, and monitoring.
· Knowledge of financial and operational risk management concepts, best practices, and regulatory guidance.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
• lifting up to 25 pounds.
• occasional Travel
No relocation offered.
We do things a little differently here at Umpqua. Our retail stores serve as community hubs, our associates are given up to 40 hours of volunteer time each year, and we’re never satisfied with the status quo. It’s no wonder we’ve made “Fortune’s 100 Best Companies to Work For” eight years in a row. But greatness has no finish line, so we continue every day to keep people at the center of everything we do. We focus on building relationships, understanding our customers’ needs and connecting to people in new and innovative ways – always staying true to our mission of providing personalized banking for all people, whenever and however they prefer to bank.