U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Project Manager in Portland, Oregon
About the Position:As a Project Manager, you will be responsible for the planning, scope development, design, instruction, and direction of major Civil works and other projects. You will apply an extensive knowledge of management concepts, principles, methods and practices as well as knowledge of methods, practices, and processes of engineering and/or science disciplines to establish responsibilities and manage the assigned project's budget and schedule to assure commitments are met.
Learn more about this agency
- Provide overall management, control, coordination and execution of assigned projects.
- Implement corporate decisions, guidance, laws, regulations, and policy in the development of the project and intermediate products in support of the project.
- Establish project scope and criteria, schedules and milestones, budgets, dependencies and responsibilities of the participating parties.
- Review and analyze cost reports to assure charges are authorized and appropriate.
- Identify unauthorized charges and assures corrective actions are taken correct inappropriate charges.
- Review project progress, measuring performance and taking necessary corrective actions to maintain agreed upon schedule and cost.
- Based on performance trends, forecast schedule, budget, manpower, quality problems and ensures proper resolution of issues.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position for training, conferences, and site visits.
- #### Job family (Series)
0020 Community Planning
0401 General Natural Resources Management And Biological Sciences
0801 General Engineering
0807 Landscape Architecture
1301 General Physical Science
Conditions of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
Who May Apply: Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities. * Current Department of Army Civilian Employees * Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan
In order to qualify, you must meet the the education and experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
To qualify for the GS-12:
Specialized Experience:One year of specialized experience which includes developing scopes, schedules, and budgets for a civil works or military construction project. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-11 or above).
To qualify for the GS-13:
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience which includes managing scopes, schedules, and budgets for multiple civil works or military construction projects at a time. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-12 or above).
Examples of Qualifying Project Manager Experience:
Participation in the development and guidance of a Scope, Schedule, and Budget as a Project or Product Manager, Technical Lead, Design Lead, Product Coordinator, or other key team member responsible for the input and coordination of the Scope, Schedule, and Budget as well as the tracking and execution of the Scope, Schedule, and Budget.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Oral Communication
- Planning and Evaluating
- Project Management
- Written Communication
Time in Grade Requirement:Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the next lower grade or equivalent. For the GS-12, the next lower grade is GS-11. For the GS-13, the next lower grade is GS-12.
FOREIGN EDUCATION:If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
This position has a positive education requirement for each of the occupational series listed in this vacancy announcement. Click on each occupational series to review the required education.* Transcripts are required as part of your application package. Failure to supply transcripts will result in an ineligible rating.*
0020 (Community Planner) 0110 (Economist) 0193 (Archeologist) 0401 (Biologist) 0801 (General Engineer) 0807 (Landscape Architect) 0808 (Architect) 1301 (Physical Scientist)
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct deposit of pay is required.
- This position requires you to submit a Public Financial Disclosure Report (OGE 278) or a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report (OGE450) upon entry, and annually thereafter.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 18 position
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria; (2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 90 or above; and, (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
- If you receive reimbursement from a Civilian Permanent Change of Station (PCS) with the government, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) considers the majority of your entitlements to be taxable. Visit https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/FTR%20Bulletin%201805%20Relocation%20Allowances0.pdf for more information.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Payment of Temporary Change of Station (TCS) costs or TDY costs are authorized, subject to the provisions of the Joint Travel Regulations.
- If you are a current Army employee on a career or career conditional appointment and are selected, your personnel action will be processed as a temporary promotion or reassignment.
- A temporary promotion may be extended up to five years.
- Temporary promotion or reassignment may be made permanent without further competition.
- Management may select at any of the grade levels announced.
- Incumbent may be eligible for non-competitive promotion to target position upon meeting time-in-grade restrictions and the following requirements: (1) Incumbent demonstrates ability to perform at target grade level; (2) Higher level work exists at target grade level; (3) Increased responsibilities are assigned; (4) Supervisor recommends promotion; (5) Incumbent completes all required training, and conditions of employment; and (6) Incumbent completes all regulatory requirements for career ladder promotions. Consequently, promotion is not guaranteed.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
Drug test required
- Required Documents
The documents you are required to submit vary based on the authority you are using to apply (i.e., applying as a veteran, applying as a current permanent Federal employee, applying as a reinstatement, etc). Please review the following links to see which documents you need to provide to prove your eligibility to apply: Applicant Merit Checklist and Proof of Eligibility.
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply.** If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
- Your resume:**
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application will be marked as incomplete and you will not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
- Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
- Proof of Eligibility to Apply:Your application must include the documents which prove you are eligible to apply for the vacancy. The Proof of Eligibility document describes authorities commonly used in merit promotion recruitment and what document(s) are required to prove you meet the requirements of the authority. You must meet the requirements of at least one of the authorities listed in the Who May Apply section above to receive further consideration.
- Time-in-grade documentation:If you are applying for a higher grade and your SF-50 has an effective date within the past year, it may not clearly demonstrate you meet the one year time-in-grade requirement so you will need to provide an SF-50 which clearly demonstrates you meet the time-in-grade requirements (examples of appropriate SF-50s include Promotions, Within-grade Grade/Range Increases, and SF-50s with an effective date more than one year old).
- This position has an individual occupational requirement and/or allows for substitution of education for experience. If you meet this requirement based on education you MUST submit a copy of your transcript with your application package or you will be rated ineligible. See: Transcripts and Licenses NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 10/29/2018 to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Applyto access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application (https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10325989).
- Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documentsto be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
- It is your responsibility to verify that your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) is complete, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
- Additional information on how to complete the online application process and submit your online application may be found on the USA Staffing Applicant Resource Center. To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
Army Applicant Help Desk
HE-APF-W2SJ01 US ARMY ENGINEER DISTRICT, PORTLAND DO NOT MAIL Portland, OR 97204 US
Learn more about this agency
If you have questions regarding this job posting please visit https://portal.chra.army.mil/hrpublic?id=formpublic&sys;id=-1&table;=uapplicationinquirystaging and complete the online submission form. To expedite the process please include the Job announcement number, which can be found at the top, right hand side of the job announcement.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/513420200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 10/10/2018 to 10/29/2018
Pay scale & grade: GS 12 - 13
Salary: $77,929 to $120,468 per year
Appointment type: Temporary Promotion
Work schedule: Full-Time