Volunteers of America Oregon Program Coordinator Afterschool in Portland, Oregon
Children & Family Services
Position Summary:The Afterschool Program Coordinator works to develop a sustainable and supportive community of neighbors with the goal of academically successful and engaged youth by providing academic and behavioral support to school age children. This position will facilitate academic tutoring, computer and reading support to school age children four times per week for two to three hours, at up to three low-income communities in the Beaverton and Tigard areas. Assists with community outreach and fosters increased community involvement in school success.
The timeline for this position is September –December 2018, with the expectation that funding and the position will continue past that date. Hours of programming are scheduled between 2-7pm, depending on site location.
Education, Training & Experience:
- Experience working with at-risk youth and families living in poverty.
- Experience working with African immigrant communities preferred.
- Computer literate
- Cultural competence specific to African immigrants
- Basic math skills
- Personal effectiveness/credibility
- Learning orientation
- Communication skills
Additional Eligibility Requirements:
- Available during traditional office hours (9 – 5pm).
- Available during afterschool hours (2 – 7pm).
- Successfully pass a criminal background check.
- Reliable form of transportation. An active driver’s license, current insurance, and ability to pass our insurer’s driving standards.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide academic support for groups to aid in the completion of their homework. Age range includes Kindergarten – 12th grade.
- Supervise and aid students with internet-based research, word processing programs, and other computer related tasks, where applicable.
- Facilitate reading groups in library and encourage non-readers to find books that will spark their interest.
- Supervise a volunteer to work one-on-one with youth needing additional help.
- Plan and facilitate monthly Community Night Activities for each site. The goal of these events are to increase community participation in afterschool program.
- Assist with community outreach to foster strong parent involvement in school success.
- Be available to work with additional providers and property management as a team.
- Responsible for ensuring organization and management of space and supplies onsite.
Supervisory Responsibility:Not responsible for supervising other employees. Provides direction and guidance to volunteers.
Schedule: This is a part-time position up to 25 hours per week; with flexible schedule up to five days a week between 2:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., including community support work. Additionally, this position will require some hours between 9:00 a.m. and 2 p.m.
Pay range: Depends on Experience and/or Certifications.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
Posted: October 12, 2018
Rate: $12 USD per hour
Close Date: 10/25/18