RELX Group Dir Software Engineering in Portland, Oregon
Dir Software Engineering
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States
Title: Director of Software Engineering
Location: Portland, OR
Homeworker or remote: No
Reports to: Senior Director of Software Engineering, FlightGlobal
FlightGlobal is looking for a Director of Software Engineering in the Portland, Oregon office location to cultivate and inspire engineering teams within the technology organization. This position reports to the Sr. Director of Software Engineering and serves as the cross-functional ‘glue’ between Engineering and individuals from groups across FlightGlobal including Dev Ops, Product Management, Data Science, Support, Sales, Marketing, and Finance.
The Director role is responsible for the engineering of software products developed by several of the agile, cross-functional product squads located in Portland. This position provides the squads / teams with day-to-day management, architectural guidance and direction to accomplish the efficient delivery of product goals. Additionally, the position will lead development teams to perform research, design, and estimating tasks to aid in the development of software products. This position collaborates with Product to define and implement requirements and help create product vision to support the ongoing life cycle management of team products and systems. The position also develops engineering principles and future team leaders to build bench strength.
A valid passport and the ability to travel occasionally within the United States and to the United Kingdom is required.
• 12+ years of professional Software Development experience.
• 5+ years of Software Development management experience.
• BS Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent experience required; advanced degree preferred.
· Positive attitude and the ability to assume best intent in all conversations.
· Frequent, open, and honest communication, both written and verbal.
· Ability to collaborate remotely with global colleagues across time zones.
· Foster a culture of ownership and accountability.
· Ability to recognize, learn from, and celebrate both successes and failures.
· Ability to get the right people in the same room at the right time.
· You value products over projects.
· You care about outcomes, not output.
Traditional and Technical Skills
· Proven track record in leading technology resources to solve complex business needs.
· Software lifecycle management.
· Ability to leverage technical metrics to drive effective team decisions.
· Knowledge of large and complex systems.
· Knowledge of architectural and software design principals.
· Proven ability to lead test-driven software development and maintenance.
· Experience in code reviews and development approaches.
· Proven ability to adapt to new roles and responsibilities.
· Ability to manage teams through vague requirements.
· Experience in software development process using Agile methodologies.
· Excellent skills in setting, communicating, implementing, and achieving business objectives and goals through the direct management of others.
· Excellent project planning, time management, and change and risk management skills across multiple functional groups.
· Excellent problem-solving experience involving leading teams in identifying, researching, and coordinating the resources necessary to effectively troubleshoot/diagnose complex project issues; prior success extracting/translating findings into alternatives/solutions; and identifying risks/impacts and adjustments to facilitate management decision-making.
· Excellent communication (verbal and written) and customer service skills. Strong interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills applicable to a wide audience including senior and executive management, customers, etc., including diction/terminology and presenting information in a concise and effective manner to clients, management, and various organizations using assorted communication mediums.
· Professional and/or specialized coding skills.
· Past experience in the aviation and/or travel industries.
· Responsible leading teams of both internal and external technology resources.
· Meet or exceed operational targets, service-level agreements, estimates, quality and/or cost requirements.
· Make long- and short-term decisions in relationship to product development strategies.
· Perform reviews to ensure enterprise and architectural standards and processes are followed.
· Utilize best practices and understand emerging trends.
· Lead the development of technical standards and perform reviews to ensure enterprise and architectural standards and processes are followed.
· Recommend technical strategy and direction across functional areas.
· Consult with stakeholders to find alternative work-arounds during system outages.
· Work directly with customers and end users.
· Design and work with complex data models.
· Seek diverse ideas and perspectives from a variety of sources to create better solutions, products, and services.
· Carry out management responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies, procedures, and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
· Ensure all staff is provided with training and resources needed to perform their jobs to the most outstanding degree possible. Ensure all staff is provided with frequent feedback and coaching, including regular one-on-one sessions, in order to meet and exceed individual and team performance goals consistently.
· Manage and encourage new ideas from engineers and others to foster improvements through innovation.
· Empower the engineers to be accountable and responsible for their own actions and decisions.
About the office:
FlightGlobal’s Portland office provides data services and end-to-end data solutions to customers serving the global travel industry. The office has established a leadership position as a provider of real-time global flight information, serving airlines and airports, travel agencies, developers, consumers, and more. The office is leveraging the platform and domain knowledge it has developed to expand into new data sets and new products that deliver value to the company’s core markets. We work in an interesting field, we have demonstrated success in what we do, and we are well positioned for future growth.
About the company:
RBI is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact 1.877.734.1938 or firstname.lastname@example.org.