The Greenbrier Companies, Inc. Competitive Intelligence Manager in Lake Oswego, Oregon
The Competitive Intelligence Manager will report to the Vice President of Marketing. They will also work closely with the Head of Global Security. Initially, the Manager will serve as an individual contributor.
The Competitive Intelligence (CI) Manager is a newly created and highly visible position that will "own" CI within an organization where CI is foundational to all key strategic business decisions. While the importance of CI is not new to us, the pace of growth, change and market complexity of Greenbrier warrants the addition of a resource fully focused on CI and the continuous build-out of his/her function and the capabilities therein.
The Manager will combine his/her research and analytical skills to help project the future actions of competitors and determine how to ensure Greenbrier maintains and grows industry dominance. The Manager is responsible for generating competitive intelligence and the tactical plans to displace competitor solutions/initiative. They will also establish communication and enablement strategy to ensure Commercial teams are equipped to effectively sell solutions from across the Greenbrier's comprehensive portfolio of products, solutions and service-offerings. Key position components:
- Sales Intelligence (50%): Provide valuable competitive information for Greenbrier's commercial selling team. Intelligence will include actionable information on competitors' product features, designs, performance, financial stability, management team, customer base, orders, pricing and customers' attitudes. The Manager will equip the Sales team to counter competitive claims or promote the Company more effectively during sales presentations.
- Product Development (30%): Provide critical input to product development and engineering teams through analysis of the design features of competitors' products. They will compare the performance and market appeal of Greenbrier's product range and recommend areas for improvement.
- Reporting (20%): Collect information and create readily actionable databases to be used as the foundation for their reporting to and advising the C-suite, all Commercial organizations, Manufacturing, Engineering, Purchasing/Supply Chain, International, and Product Development. The CI Manager will also materially engage with Greenbrier's global Supplier base.
The Manager will leverage their insatiable curiosity to learn all facets of Greenbrier's business. Key measures of success include the development, implementation and continuous build-out of a comprehensive CI Business Plan; their effectiveness cultivating productive relationships/partnerships across all company functions and across Greenbrier's supplier base; and their impact on Greenbrier's return on capital, EBITDA and market-share. Finally, by the end of their first year, the Manager will have converted the CI function into a proactive versus reactive function.
- Collect, validate, analyze, and interpret a broad range of market-related data, including industry, financial, volume, market, pricing, manufacturing and competitive insights.
- Optimize use of existing data/information while continuously adding new sources, dimension and level of detail. They will develop and test hypotheses, develop conclusions and make recommendations.
- Produce written reports and meet with other staff members to discuss potential options to anticipate or outpace industry/competitor trends.
- Manage secondary data and analytic tasks to build market insights to inform business planning, business development, and strategic operational goals and objectives.
- Cultivate, monitor, and assesses multiple intelligence sources and communicate to internal stakeholders applicable recommendations regarding changing dynamics across Greenbrier's marketplace.
- Develop innovative analytical methodologies to answer strategic business questions and vet new business opportunities across the organization.
- Monitor competitors' advertising and marketing campaigns; alert sales to competitive actions that might threaten their business thereby mitigating the risk of account losses.
The ideal candidate is currently in an Analyst or Manager CI, Market Insights or Market Research role at a B2B company known for best-in-class CI. They will have 5-10 years of experience and will be able to demonstratively communicate how their work has impacted business strategy.
- Material direct, dedicated and data-intensive B2B-oriented CI, Market Research or Market Analysis experience is absolutely required.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution is required. A concentration in a quantitative field (e.g., math, finance, economics, statistics, education, etc.) is strongly preferred as is an advanced degree.
- Connected with the broader CI community. SCIP membership is preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years on-the-job contemporary experience working in either CI or market research within a B2B setting.
- Demonstrably inquisitive spirit; able to show where their curiosity set-the-stage for great strategy/business results.
- Current or previous experience within a global manufacturing or freight transportation company is strongly preferred.
- 5+ years' of data analysis, reporting, and forecasting work required.
- A flexible and fluid workstyle able to accurately balance competing priorities.
- Embrace of ambiguity and "gray space"; able to make solid decisions when minimal facts are available.
- Developed executive poise and presence; able to communicate with impact across all levels and functions up to the C-suite.
- Demonstrable experience communicating technical subject matter to non-technical audiences in compelling and action-inspiring ways.
- Good capabilities in both secondary research and primary research (one-on-one interviews of business executives and/or subject matter experts).
- Good phone skills and ability to take and maintain control of a phone conversation (as evidenced by prior experience with phone surveys, phone sales, cold calling, etc.).
- Proficiency in MS Office suite, with advanced knowledge of Excel (including pivot tables and function formulas for data comparison) and PowerPoint.
- Superior problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Conceptual and analytical thinker focusing on prioritization and collaboration.
- Decision-maker skilled at negotiation, problem solving, tactical execution.
- Must be able to collaborate with colleagues via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings.
- Flexibility to 30%-40% travel
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
The Greenbrier Companies, Inc.
00100-Lake Oswego, OR