Umpqua Bank Senior Employee Relations Business Partner in Hillsboro, Oregon
The Employee Relations Business Partner will be an integral part of an employee relations team and serve in a key role of upholding a positive work culture through our values and policies. This role will help ensure a fair and consistent approach and response aligned with company practices, policies, procedures and legal requirements. Provides consultation and guidance to management and associates on a variety of issues, including performance management, corrective action, policy interpretation and investigations. Recommends appropriate action and partners with management and others to investigate and resolve HR issues. Promotes treatment of employees in a fair, respectful, and consistent manner that works within the framework of our core business values and objectives.
• Engages as a trusted adviser and subject matter expert to guide managers and associates on sensitive work-related issues, related but not limited to, performance, harassment, discrimination, conflict resolution, policy interpretation, compliance, terminations, exit interviews, interpersonal communication and effective group interaction.
• Conducts complex investigations and mitigates risk by ensuring compliance with EEO Policies, all Federal, State, local employment regulations as well as Bank policies. Recommends solutions and facilitates with implementation of a resolution that promotes fair employment practices.
• Assists with the development, analysis and coordination of employee relations initiatives that encourages employee retention, job satisfaction and positive morale. Promotes a work environment respectful and appreciative of the diversity of all associates.
• Applies legal requirements, company policy, culture and values to make recommendations to help resolve complex and unique employment related issues and support necessary course of action between managers and employees to drive positive outcomes.
• Partners with managers on complex performance matters and monitors progress; coaches managers and employees through corrective action.
• Leads internal investigations in compliance and employee related matters, in close partnership with Business Partners.
• Supports managers and employees through departmental restructuring activities
• Consults and advises employees and managers on leave of absence and workplace accommodation matters including, but not limited to: statutory leave, discretionary, non-statutory leave, disability and religious accommodation.
• Records and analyzes HR data as needed to identify trends, provide recommendations, and develop action plans.
• Reviews, develops and recommends new or necessary revisions to organizational policies, practices and procedures and assists with the implementation to affect continual improvements in efficiency of department and services performed.
• Partners with HR team and COEs on employment related initiatives; partners with the ER team to recommend and develop consistent practices and action plans.
• Monitors employment law and work place trends to design and implement relevant policies and trainings.
• Minimum of 7 years of experience in Employee Relations, or HR Business Partner
• PHR/SPHR preferred
• Strong knowledge of and experience with interpreting employment and labor laws
• Experience training managers and employees on policies and procedures, and employee relations material
• Thrives in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
• Superb communication skills including effective, active listening, writing and presentation and able to express thoughts in a clear and concise manner.
• Strong ability to diffuse difficult situations
• Experience with collecting data and reporting on HR and/or Employee Relations metrics
• Deep analytical skills with demonstrated ability to work within the "gray" and make sound assessments and provide effective recommendations for varying situations/circumstances
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and across group settings with focus on adjusting to different work styles and personalities
• Ability to prioritize workload, remain flexible, accept feedback and adjust accordingly under tight deadlines
• Demonstrate effective influencing skills to provide resolution to complex and highly sensitive employee relations issues
• Experience leading multiple, concurrent, high-priority employee relations activities with a focus on timely and consistent execution
• Strong documentation skills
• Ability to anticipate potential issues and diagnose root cause through listening and inquiry
• Ability to work independently and be part of a team environment while developing strong professional relationships with peers, managers, executives and cross-functional teams.
• Ability to use sound judgment to problem solve, make decisions and involve necessary individuals at the appropriate time.
• Demonstrate commitment to helping employees and managers be successful and achieving those results in alignment with company values.
• Consistently exhibits high levels of discretion, integrity and confidentiality
• Comprehensive knowledge in employment, employee relations practices and principles, and current laws impacting human resources (staffing, affirmative action, wage and hour, benefits, leaves of absence, health and safety, etc.).
• High degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, Internet and HR systems.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required. Master’s degree preferred.
We do things a little differently here at Umpqua. Our retail stores serve as community hubs, our associates are given up to 40 hours of volunteer time each year, and we're never satisfied with the status quo. It's no wonder we've made "Fortune's 100 Best Companies to Work For" eight years in a row. But greatness has no finish line, so we continue every day to keep people at the center of everything we do. We focus on building relationships, understanding our customers' needs and connecting to people in new and innovative ways -- always staying true to our mission of providing personalized banking for all people, whenever and however they prefer to bank.
Umpqua Bank is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, protected veteran status, or disability. We maintain a drug-free workplace and may perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.