MWH Constructors Building and Facilities Design Manager in Hillsboro, Oregon
MWH Constructors, Inc. is growing its business in the industrial and vertical construction sectors in North America. Its strategy for this growth will see an increase in resources and capabilities across the US. Business and contract activity associated with this initiative will include:
• Commercial and industrial new and existing building design, construction, and maintenance.
• High technology manufacturing facility design, construction, and management.
• General maintenance and renovation designs for manufacturing facilities and office campuses.
MWH Constructors, Inc. is seeking a Design Manager, with an emphasis in Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing (MEP) systems, to support commercial and industrial projects in a design-build setting. This position will lead subconsultant A/E firms, subcontracted directly to MWH Constructors, to execute the design phase of our construction projects. Projects require a highly motivated professional with excellent collaboration skills and strong work ethic. This role will manage various multi-disciplinary design projects in various locations with emphasis in Oregon but will also require support in other locations as needed.
The primary responsibilities for this role will include:
• Work with the Client to define project objective and write the scopes of work, facilitate on-site tours of existing conditions, prepares Requests for Proposals (RFP’s) and solicits A/E services from prequalified A/E firms.
• The role also determines the necessary technical resources, consolidates proposals to be submitted to the Client, distributes work to the awarded Design team, then executes day-to-day tasks to ensure successful design phase execution. This role also provides design services support during construction.
• Demonstrates design management skills including an ability to manage scope, schedule, budget, quality, and risk.
• Monitors project progress through frequent coordination with the A/E subconsultant, analyzes reasons for favorable or unfavorable performance and provides redirection as needed to validate and/or improve project performance by facilitating consensus among MWH Constructors, Client, and A/E design firm as needed.
• Provides technical leadership on multiple projects with quick turnaround times, and ensures proper processes are in place and consistently applied.
• Demonstrates strong written and verbal communication, including an ability to negotiate and apply diplomacy particularly during difficult situations.
• Inspires and trains both internal and external team members to provide excellent customer service, deliver high quality deliverables, and encourages a positive team environment.
• Partners with senior management to develop and improve operational strategies and processes, including positioning for new project pursuits.
• Proactively communicates and supports company objectives and represents Company in meetings and communications within the authority of the role.
• Participates, adheres to, and enforces Client and internal Company training, processes, and policies.
• Follows safe work practices and uses Client and Company guidelines and policies for planning and executing work in a safe manner.
• Manages project and overhead financials to protect Company's interest and simultaneously maintains good relationship with the Client.
• Assume additional responsibilities as directed by senior management or as needed to support the team.
If former Military, the following MOS codes may be applicable:
Army Corps of Engineers (12, 21, 51, 62) Series MOS
Marine Corps (1100&1300) Series MOSC
Coast Guard (700) Series MOS Air Force (3E200) Series MOS
Navy (All 5000) Series MOS
Building and Facilities Design Manager
• BA/BS Engineering or B. Arch in Architecture (or equivalent degree) required, MS preferred. Primary technical emphasis and design capability in mechanical processes and mechanical electrical and plumbing (MEP) systems. Secondary emphasis on architectural and structural capabilities
• Professional Registration required in Oregon, or ability to achieve registration within 1 year of employment.
• 5-10+ years of experience providing A/E services with at least five years of progressive experience managing multi-discipline design projects.
• A “can do” attitude with the ability to bring together diverse points of view to achieve consensus.
• Superior communication and interpersonal (tact, diplomacy, influence, etc.) skills.
Fluent in common MS Office software and ability to learn and apply various computer tools, software, and applications.
• Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment, in both face-to-face and remote communications modes, on multiple small projects with quick turn-around times.
• Willingness to travel as needed by the company.
Design, Electrical Engineering, Engineering Other, Facilities, Mechanical Engineering, Project Management
• Licensure or ability to become licensed in Arizona and California.
• Fluency in MS Project and/or Primavera Scheduling software
• Project Management Institute (PMI) PMP Certification.
MWHC is a project delivery company with a focus on water and energy. With the ultimate goal of delivering maximum value to municipal, federal and industrial clients and their local communities, we offer single-source integrated construction services and project delivery methods that incorporate industry-leading pre-construction services and safety practices.
MWH is an EEO employer – MWH considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, creed, color, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship or other basis in accordance with federal, state or local laws or regulations.
Location (Multiple Cities or States):
United States - Oregon - Aloha, United States - Oregon - Hillsboro