The Corvallis Clinic ASC Sterile Processing Technician II in Corvallis, Oregon
The Sterile Processing Technician II performs preparation of instruments, supplies and equipment requiring decontamination, assembly prep and packaging, and sterilization.
Class Distinguishing Features:
This is the second level of a three level series. It is distinguished from the Sterile Processing Technician I for the assembly and sterilization of instruments, as well as the cleaning and testing of the medical equipment instruments. It is distinguished from the Sterile Processing Technician III by closer supervision. The Sterile Processing Technician II can perform all of the duties of the Sterile Processing Technician I.
- Will participate and maintain a culture within The Corvallis Clinic consistent with the content outlined in the Service and Behavioral Standards Handbook. To this end, employee will be expected to read, have familiarity, and embrace the principles contained within.
- Decontamination and Cleaning:
- Sorts used soiled instruments and decontaminates by utilizing proper manual and mechanical techniques; decontaminates medical equipment; tests equipment and instruments for proper operation; shelves decontaminated equipment and supplies according to type of equipment, date decontaminated and unit or department using item.
- Cleans equipment such as towers, pumps, suction machines and heating and cooling units; may make minor repairs or refers to repair person; assist in maintaining instrument trays; may operate flash sterilizers according to standards of practice.
- Maintains sterility assurance at all times, including transport sterile instruments to the operating room under strict sterile conditions; removal of bio burden from instruments and equipment per decontamination standards; safely operates decontamination equipment including washer decontaminators, and sonic washers; safely handles and decontaminates equipment that must be hand washed due to its delicate nature.
- Utilizes knowledge and skills for sterilization assurance protocols: Uses sterilization integrators and indicators.
- Uses knowledge of microbiology principles as they apply to use and interpretation of biological indicator procedures and readings; determines that sterilization parameters are met for all items sterilized based upon sterilization method(s) used.
- Inspects sterilized items prior to release to clinical areas to maintain sterility assurance protocols.
- Uses all types of sterilizers properly including steam, low temperature and cold sterilizers; uses protocols in the event of sterilization assurance failures; tests and monitors all types of sterilization equipment including steam, low temperature and cold sterilizers.
- Assists in instrumentation projects under the guidance of the Sterile Processing Technician III.
Pulls surgical supplies and instrumentation based on physician pick list. Minimum Qualifications:
High school diploma or equivalent.
- One year of experience as a Sterile Processing Technician I, with successful completion of a 6 month instrumentation processing training with a Sterile Processing Technician III.
- Successful completion of an accredited Sterile Processing Training program may be substituted for 6 months experience, OR two years of experience as a Sterile Processing Technician in an acute care center with primary responsibility for instrumentation processing and sterilization.
- National certification from CBSPD or IAHCSMM is required within six months of hire.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification